Saturday, January 24, 2015

NEW ORDER

July 11. 2014
Bill Graham Civic Center, SAN FRANCISCO
New Order was basically a two hour dance party and I am more than okay with that. I've never danced so freely and intensely where I'm sure that the people next to and surrounding me were thoroughly pissed off. Whatever. It's fucking New Order!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an experience that I will be able to tell my unborn children and grandchildren... And let me tell you... that is a ridiculously good feeling. 

The light show was incredible, that even with just my phone, I was able to capture really nice photos. Each member executed their parts so well and it sounds lame to say, but it gives me hope that I can still be cool when I'm older (am I cool now?). 

I'm normally not a huge fan of bands filling the majority of their set with new songs, but they so effortlessly weaved them into their show. Even though I didn't know the words to the new tunes, they were danceable and really enjoyable. Now, let's get to the good stuff: so many good songs were played but then 'Blue Monday' came on with the bone-chilling bass line and i died. Then 'Your Silent Face' also blessed my eardrums. And I died. 

They were so fantastic that there was not one but TWO encores in which at one point they played 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and an artsy visual of the late Ian Curtis was projected. It says a lot about them as a band that they showed respect to a lost member and homage to how they originated and where they came from. 

I usually leave a show really excited about what I had just witnessed, but this one was different. The only way I can explain it is with the word euphoria. It was like, I could be broke from all the traveling to shows I had done so far (which I was) and would have to return to a shitty job (which I did) but I really didn't care because for the past hour and a half I was having the time of my life, witnessed legends perform before my very eyes, and was incredibly happy. THAT is a testament of why I do this, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment